Nearly two years after the Landmarks Preservation Commission approved the conversion of the Brooklyn Lyceum into a gym, the commission has approved the signage for the fitness facility.
The building is 227 Fourth Avenue, located at the northeast corner with President Street, in Park Slope. The two-story structure was designed by Raymond F. Almirall and built between 1906 and 1910 as Public Bath No. 7. It was designated an individual landmark 1984.
Now, it is being turned in a Blink Fitness. The signage will be fourfold: there will be one sign anchored into existing mortar joints right over the main entrance on the avenue and one in a mortar joint just around the corner on the President Street side of the building. Then there will be a non-illuminated small bracket sign on the corner, on the avenue side. Finally, there will be a flag on the existing pole atop the building.
LPC Chair Meenakshi Srinivasan called the proposed signage “very discrete” and said she was happy to see “the building come back to life.” The vote to approve the signage, taken on March 28, was unanimous.
Greystone and Co. is the developer. The conversion is being handled by preservation consultant Cas Stachelberg of Higgins Quasebarth & Partners and Chelsea-based Daniel Goldner Architects. That team is also behind the 13-story, 57-unit apartment building under construction next door. The signage comes from Maryland-based Triangle Sign & Service.
When the bathhouse opened, it was the first in Brooklyn to have what was known as a “plunge,” another name for a swimming pool. It was converted into a gym in the 1930s, but abandoned in the 1950s, according to the LPC. It was then used as a warehouse. Eventually, it saw new life as the Brooklyn Lyceum theater. Now, the chime of adaptive reuse is ringing again and we wish this landmark well.