After a design tweak, the expansion of a former garage building in the West Village has the blessing of the Landmarks Preservation Commission, meaning that 771 Washington Street will grow from two stories to four.
The building, on the corner with West 12th Street, was constructed between 1924 and 1925. It has provided a variety of automotive services over the years, though its corner space is currently occupied by the bar and restaurant BarButo. The fashion and event space Industria is also a current tenant. The LPC gained jurisdiction over the structure in 1969, when it designated the Greenwich Village Historic District.
Now, the building it set for a renovation and expansion, led by George Schieferdecker and Harry Kendall of BKSK Architects, a firm no stranger to the city’s historic districts, along with preservation consultant Bill Higgins of Higgins Quasebarth & Partners. The trio went before the commission in December, but the plan presented then was deemed overwhelming and no action was taken.
This time around, in a plan presented by Schieferdecker, the height of the fourth floor was reduced by over two feet, and its ceiling now has a slope. The glass has also been treated differently, so as to lighten it. Schieferdecker said the addition is now “more distinct.” Additionally, existing glass will be darker and the doors have been redesigned to give them even more transparency.
LPC Chair Meenakshi Srinivasan called the revised proposal “really good” and “much more appropriate” before the commission voted to approve it.
The expanded building will contain 36,882 square feet of commercial space, an increase from the current 20,855. The hanger-style doors at the corner were designed in the hope that BarButo will return after the renovation. No date has been set for the commencement of construction.
View the full presentation slides here: